Eggs, polenta, jalapeños



Been cooking a lot of eggs lately, but there's a reason for that. I need the cartons to plant seeds.  I have four dozen seed experiments going on. So far they're all working. Now, what am I going to do with forty-eight little plants? I have no idea. The new problem is now I need dozens of larger planter cups and I have no idea about that either. Yet.

I never fried polenta before. The polenta is seasoned heavily with the usual suspects including garlic powder and cayenne, plus some other various spicy powders that went into the butter before chicken broth. I just dumped in enough chicken broth that I imagined would fill the bottom of a bread pan to an inch or so. Then added enough ground popcorn to thicken to polenta. At the last moment I decided to include a small can of jalapeños peppers. The mixture was overcooked. I got carried away with a phone call while it was cooking on low. Instructions say to cook it for a long time anyway but I never did. I don't see the point. Poured into a Pullman-size bead pan and left to cool. Knocked it out and sliced it. It's kind of fun. Kids could make animal shapes.

This seasoned fried polenta is wonderful, but it could be improved. The texture is soft and spongy. It could use a crunchy exterior. Next time I'll coat the polenta with more wet polenta mixture as a batter and fry that, or possibly a polenta drench and dredge.

The eggs were fried in olive oil because I already had my monthly Federally recommended allowance of butter all at once last night with the Hollandaise. Plus Paula Dean called and told me to knock it off. [As it happens, I speak cow, she actually said "Moo moo moo mooooooo mo mooo ya'all  moo."]

Oh no, you di'int! Oh, yes I did.

My ears made my fingers type that because they seek revenge for being  forced to hear her say over and over  "hala penyas" instead of jalapeños, they didn't much care for her thoughtlessly switching gender like that. Sorry. That's about as mean as I let my id get.

No comments:

Blog Archive