Elk steak



This was the package of elk steak that Deena McDonald gave me marked "rib eye." Upon opening the package, the irregular shape of the steaks precluded cooking them as ordinary rib eyes so I cut them into pieces and lightly dusted them with seasoned flour then sautéed the segments in butter. The segments were marbled with connective tissue, most un-rib eye like, some were tender others excessively chewy so I put the whole batch in a pressure cooker and ran it up to high for thirty minutes -- to teach it a lesson. The result was unbelievably tender meat chunks, the connective tissue having completely melted away. The pale globules that look like fat are actually the flour coating that skimmed off and picked up cooking juices. The meat is deeply flavored in a way grain-finished beef does not compare. I intended for the packet to supply two meals, but I must confess, I couldn't keep off it, I finished this plate then just kept nibbling until it was gone, for I am a hog myself of the first order.

Salad dressing = olive oil + lime juice.

No comments:

Blog Archive