Catfish hushpupies

Made with real cats! Catfish, that is. 


When we first moved to the South (she shall r-i-i-i-i-i-s-e again) my dad hooked up with the Shreveport Masons. Maybe it was Bossier City masons. The only Masonic lodge I've ever seen made of wood. Go figure. They hosted a catfish and hushpuppy dinner. It was fun. My introduction to both catfish and to hushpuppies, and it was love at first sight. Incidentally, to get there we had to pass vast fields of cotton, and that was fascinating too. It was like popcorn on scraggly sticks.


No recipe here, I just threw my favorite things into a bowl. I used 1/4 of a large onion because that's all I had left. Three scrawny limp stalks of celery, the end of a large package of three or four whole things of celery bushes or whatever they're called. One orange bell pepper. That was the most of the vegetables. I added adobe chile powder, and the last of a package of Vindaloo curry. I have a whole 'nuther jar but that was the last of the little bag. S/P and one egg. I used masa herena which made it smell all Mexicany and fantastic, not a normal ingredient, corn meal, and flour for adhesion, plus a little baking powder to lighten the mixture. Should have used more of that. They could have been more moist too. I still have some of this mixture left so I might fix it. That's all.

Hot vegetable oil for no more than a few minutes.

Sriracha sauce is the red stuff in the little bowl, and weeeee doggie, it that stuff hot. I should have mixed it with catsup but I was too lazy.

No comments:

Blog Archive