Chicken soup, chicken scaloppini







This was a failure. Two failures in fact. I know what went wrong because I did this before with success so my mistake was being too loose with the process so I did it again and corrected. Overcorrected.  

Matzo is unleavened crackers. That is why it can be used for Seder, because it has no leavening. This is sourdough breadcrumbs including crusts, so it is far from matzo crackers and far from matzo meal made from crushed matzo crackers. Far from that because of the yeast it contains and not being kosher, but exactly the same as that because of the flour and water and it is the same idea.  

The balls at the top were chilled overnight to firm them beyond normal firming but because they contained too much baking powder they dissolved in liquid and the whole thing was chucked. 

The second try used no baking powder at all the dumplings were pretty much the same as boiled pasta dough. They held up but were way too dense. I ate one anyway. It tasted very good with all the good things inside it but it failed utterly as a matzo ball. 

Both failures were floaters, you'd think the heavy ones would be sinkers, but they floated. 

I should mention, I came back to mention this, the soup by itself is excellent. It has all my favorite things to make ordinary things taste better. This time I included honey. 

I made this chicken scaloppini below to try to erase the memory of the failed matzo balls but now that I did the pictures I remember it all again in detail so that failed too. 

I did invent a new sauce, I guess. The pan drippings have a little duck fat in it left over from frying the chicken scaloppini, and some of the seasoned flour fell off the chicken when it fried, so right there is the beginning of a roux in a very rough form. That was cleared off with white wine and milk. Tasted. Filled out with mustard powder, white pepper, and chile flakes, so fixed with strong flavors. But I went too far again. Way too far. I do like the black dots of burnt seasoning floating around in there and the sauce does taste great, but all of that heavy seasoning directly on the chicken and on the coating and in the sauce is altogether too much.

Conclusion: 

mazo balls -- fail, fail. 
scaloppini total seasoning -- fail.  




No comments:

Blog Archive