Orange



This orange does not have seeds. How can the orange tree make baby orange trees if the oranges do not have seeds? 

Manipulated?

That would be unnatural. 

One of my great uncles told my brother and  me tales of severe unnatural botanical manipulation out there in the orange groves that he owned in Florida but I imagined he was just trying to scare us. 

He said that he invented something orange-grove related. Something having to do with a smelter pot elevated on a short derrick or a wooden tower at tree top height. Orange tree top height. These little towers were interspersed among the grove with their pots and lit up to blow heat gently across the tops of the trees on those early mornings when a few degrees for a few hours makes the difference between a successful crop and disaster. See, they already had pots but the pots were on the ground and they already had towers that did something else, like hold a windmill that pumps water, or hold elevated water tanks for pressure, and so forth. Heat rises, yes, but it cools as it rises and the tree itself traps the heat away from the tops where the frost damage happens, he wanted to get the heat right up there at the tippy top of the trees where it was needed most. Soon enough all the groves were using those wooden towers with fans in combination with heated pots. That's how I understood his story anyway. He left us with the impression they really had to pay close attention to weather and storms and natural events. I've seen photos of what he was talking about, but again, I do not know him at all, he could have been bullshitting for all I know. British, they do that. My dad sure is enamored with him. 

No comments:

Blog Archive