Salad, tomato, red bell pepper, apple, avocado, hard-boiled egg, ham, mint, homemade dressing


A few weeks with my folks changed their salad perceptions. I do that. It happens without trying. Mum said, "Notice? You're rubbing off on me, kid!" Just a small amount of exposure and you're off jabbing in fronds of dill as if tossing a dart into your salads, sheering strips off cucumbers and cutting things on a steep bias. Coaxing things to stand up unnaturally but not too unnaturally, elevated but not ridiculously constructed, random in appearance but not a studied numeric type of calculated random that isn't random at all. And somehow through it all no matter what always reliably randomly end up with something vaguely phallic. 

Or not so vaguely.

The Haystack goat cheese with buttermilk dressing was good but the whole time I was thinking, "good, but really, how long can licking the hay that goats peed in keep on being even slightly appealing?" and then, "this would be better with blue cheese instead." Which was probably all figured out a long time ago. 

A salad bowl makes its own little mise en place perfectly fine but I did want to show the three red things together and I wanted to show how easily the egg shells came off the Easter eggs, and I wanted to show the avocado treated separately and the red bell pepper being treated separately. And most of all I wanted to show how much mint is used, almost as much as lettuce, so much that it interacts with and counteracts everything else. 

The red bell pepper is seared in olive oil, with salt, then steamed with white wine and the combination is extraordinary all by itself. 



I couldn't make up my mind which photo to use so here are all three.






No comments:

Blog Archive