Poached egg on polenta with pecans



What to do with pecans, say, you happen have a big tree of them.

They do excellent things with extravagant flavors and I cannot keep off of those things so I tried my hand at turning something like that into a sauce. The mixture I came up with kept trying to turn into candy and I kept watering it down to sauce. I added cayenne because it seemed like they were asking for it. 

* honey, globs of honey, the sauce is mostly honey. 
* brown sugar, a tad, for its molasses, or maybe just use molasses.
* butter
* cayenne
* rice vinegar
* sea salt
* black pepper
* water

There is a sweet and sour thing going on. The aggressive sweetness of honey and brown sugar combined comes on like an attack and it is parried with salt and reposted with vinegar, the tricky cayenne is a froissement. Take that! You saccharine sauce, and calm down or I shall counterattack you a second time. 

Can you imagine having such a thing in a restaurant?  

No comments:

Blog Archive