Salad: lettuce, apple, orange, raisin, pecan, tomato, carrot, homemade dressing


So it's come to this then. 

Grapefruit juice is made a lot more exciting and unctuous and balanced. And it is better, better I say, than anything you will ever buy. 

But how did we end up here? 










Don't you wish I had centered the tripod better? Such a dummkopf. Then you would be able to see there is half as much leafy cilantro as there is Romaine lettuce. Nearly.

If you were here I wouldn't do that 

The thing is my brother James and I used to drop by a Japanese restaurant with some regularity and upon the umpteenth visit there I realized their delicious dressing is nothing more than grapefruit juice. 

That is why it wilts everything in one minute.

This is that, except elaborated. I accidentally bought a carton of red grapefruit juice thinking it was  red orange juice, the pretty picture appealed to me, and the whole thing is like totally sour. Ick. 

Unfortunately I have no fresh ginger.

* powdered ginger
* powdered mustard
* pepper / salt
* teaspoon honey
* chile flakes
* few drops toasted sesame seed oil
* tablespoon or so olive oil
* as much grapefruit juice as you need

Mustard is an emulsifier. Even though dressing do not need to be emulsified, still, it is.  Sesame seed oil to adjust the taste of olive oil. I just don't want to use a light no-taste rape seed oil for salads and I don't want fruity olive taste here so it's overwhelmed just so with sesame oil which is excessively strong and awful when you use too much. Even 1/4 teaspoon can be too much. 

No comments:

Blog Archive