Ordinary bread




Commercial yeast is incredibly forgiving. 

Had I done with sourdough what I did with this, it would have completely failed, and there would be only one shot then I'd have to start over.

This bread has two cups of milk and two eggs, and two tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of lecithin and one teaspoon of a mineral salt, so it is a brioche, but that is not enough to impart character. It is closer to Wonder bread than it is to real bread. It's fluffy, closed consistent crumb, light and airy. It's a disappointment. It could use more weight, and I thought I gave it, and it could use more time. A lot more time.

The dough was handled differently to produce a dense loaf and that effort failed when mass rose in the oven well beyond the intent. Way too much ovenrise foiled my plan. Usually people want that kind of ovenrise but I didn't want it this time.  

Better to start with a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast well in advance, say, 12 hours. I wish I had done that. That would impart the character this loaf lacks. 

No comments:

Blog Archive