Polenta, poached egg



Corn meal.

This works with every grain that I've tried, dried bean and legumes, so things like dried garbanzo beans can be turned into hummus without soaking them overnight. In powder form, the starch absorbs water readily and the particles burst at boiling, or uncoil, and thicken immediately. My experience differs from what I read, I find there is no advantage to further cooking. As soon as it boils, it is ready to serve. 

So I get spices started in fat first because it goes so fast after that. 



The liquid is chicken stock. The mixture heated to boiling. It was too thick and too dense for my preference tonight so more stock was added and returned to the heat. Just to boiling and that's all, which amounted to a few minutes in the microwave.


Poaching an egg is easier than frying an egg.


No comments:

Blog Archive