Eggs, grits with cheese, bacon


A poor boy's breakfast, a pauper's breakfast, where pauper means ridiculously luxuriant. Two gigantic eggs, and that's gotta hurt, white popcorn coffee grinder-milled grits with frozen peas and Parmigiano cheese, and bacon baked traditionally in a countertop convection/microwave oven. It's been an age since I bought frozen peas. They're fun.

I added cayenne red pepper and Madras curry in with the grits because for some reason I cannot seem to help myself. And butter, of course. The liquid was canned chicken broth and water. I used 1:2 milled corn kernels to liquid then kept adjusting with water to keep the consistency I wanted. Added cheese off the heat. These home-milled grits, they're funny. Nothing happens until they boil, and they boil quickly, then BAM! they're thick and apparently done. I never trust them to be done, though, so I keep cooking on low until the other things are finished.
E

No comments:

Blog Archive