Fish sandwich




With bacon and red bell pepper, and my own mustardy mayonnaise.

An entire red bell pepper was fried in olive oil. There was way more than I needed for two small sandwiches even though I kept nibbling it while I brought together the other elements. They were all cooked individually in the same pan; bread, bell pepper, bacon and fish. The bell pepper is my favorite part. From raw to all stages of being cooked even to its burned portions, it's wonderful. I intend to use it more.

This is the bread I made a few weeks ago. It's been in the refrigerator this whole time. I thought it was lost. It's made from commercial yeast and double the amount of whole wheat flour that bread bakers find reasonable. It's heavy and dense, closer to a brioche given its extra ingredients. It's also awesomely flavored with freshly milled wheat even though the bread is weeks old. Bread purists advise not to refrigerate bread, but in a climate arid as Denver there is little choice other than to consume it immediately. I pan fry it in olive oil /butter a bit heavily. (One of my sisters quietly graciously rejected it and with that I take no umbrage, rather what I feel is closer to pity. That her preference would be for commercialized ersatz foam-bread leaves me a little bit sad. )

No comments:

Blog Archive