Breakfast, bacon, eggs, hash brown potatoes


Typical American breakfast, minus buttered toasted bread with jam. (I have a very nice toaster, a common device seen in every household, but I spurn commercial sliced bread and I do not care for the silly thing sitting there idly all the time on the countertop using up its useless footprint and hogging an outlet insouciantly, so I put it away. Same thing with a coffee maker and espresso machine. I'm weird that way.) You will see this meal served at home tables, diners and cafes throughout the land, north and south, east and west, and most certainly the middle where I'm at. 

One of the jumbo eggs seemed heavy, the second jumbo egg less heavy, so I weighed them. One weighed 80g. or avoirdupois 2+3/4oz. The lighter one weighed 68g. or  2+3/8oz. So that's 22g or 3/8oz. difference which is almost half an ounce which is a lot when we're talking about just two + ounces. 

When I cracked open the heavy jumbo egg two yolks plopped out

Woohoo! *glees* , *does the happy double-yolk dance* , *drums the countertop with the spatula*, *makes a joyful clamor* , *creates doubt about sanity*. 

The bacon is baked in the microwave/convection combo oven on high convection for 15 minutes. 

The potato is Yukon gold which is probably an in between starchy and waxy type. It was shredded by machine because that makes better potato shreds than a box grater. The shreds were rinsed, blanched in hot water, frozen, then fried. All those extra steps had nearly zero effect on the result. They were alright, but they were not what I was imagining they would be, all toasty on the outside and tender on the inside. They were almost there but not quite. But I'll tell you, I seasoned them heavily by toasting whole cumin seed along with fennel seed. Then added an excess of coarsely cracked black pepper and mixed chile flakes, with coarse sea salt and granulated garlic. Then cooked all that seasoning first with sliced onion. Wow! My dad would love this for a radical change of pace. Why, it's enough to make you forget you're eating stupid dull bland boring starchy potatoes. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds and looks like utter heaven.

Blog Archive