Banana mousse

I had three bananas that were on their way south, and by south I mean waaaaaay south, like Mesa Verde.

I just hate throwing away bananas. Used to be I would buy only two. Still, I'd eat one and by the time I got around to the second one it had already turned black. So I devised a plan, the sort of plan that can come only by maturity. I'd go to the store, buy two bananas, come home, unpack the groceries, eat the best one of the two bananas immediately, and throw away the second. There. Problem solved.

But now these three bananas are so soft they can not be peeled. They must be squeezed out of their limp skins. Into a pot containing butter, a dash of salt, (my butter is unsalted) and a small amount of milk. Like the chocolate mousse, I cracked three eggs into a large bowl reserving the yolks in a ramekin. I used the whisk attachment on immersion blender to whip the whites in the bowl, then changed to a blend attachment to blend the egg yolks into the bananas, milk, butter, salt, and about 1/4 cup of sugar along with a dose of protein powder, just for the hell of it, over heat. Added vanilla at the end. Didn't want the alcohol in the extract to evaporate. Folded 1/4 of the whites into the thickened mixture then the mixture back into the large bowl. It makes a lovely mess. Here's the result, banana mousse, and I must say, it's a hell of a way to take your vitamins and protein powder, which is resistant to blending.




No comments:

Blog Archive