In pursuit of clarity (of ice)

It was recommended I freeze the water in layers. The water is still boiled twice at high pressure.

Result: cloudy layers. Conclusion: attempting to duplicate the action of ice makers and the formation of icicles fails because the water isn't running over the frozen surface where all but H2O adheres to the building crystals, rather it all just sits there, whatever minutiae is present in the water, to be frozen inside the crystalline matrix.

For what it's worth, I used filtered water. So much for 10 layers of filtering, eh?

Next attempt, reverse osmosis water, utterly devoid of all particles. If that turns out cloudy, then I'll pressure cook that too. And if that fails, then I'll pressure cook reverse osmosis water and freeze it in layers. Then if that fails I’ll hang myself, check that, seek consultation from professionals.



Later, I learned the trick.

From clear ice that forms on lakes.

The ice freezes from the top down pushing impurities downward into the water. Clear-ice molds use this same idea by putting a hole in the bottom of the mold for impurities to pass through into another larger container of water that also freezes with the impurities. The two molds must be separated.

No comments:

Blog Archive