Kombu katsuobushi dashi


This is a test to see if Japanese methods can be used for a seafood broth that is better than the last two bouillabaisses that I had at local restaurants. 

They are both very good restaurants too, so you can imagine my disappointment upon realizing I can do better myself. This is a trial. It is an idea that arose because it is my favorite seafood broth. If the trial fails, then I will try any number of alternate methods at fish and seafood broth. This is so simple I had to try it first.

Drat! I am out of bonito flakes. There is only one place they could be and they're not there. That means I have to go get some more because I do not want to be without them. In the meantime, I do have this cop-out shortcut silly powder version marketed either for lazy people or for people too stupid to know better. It's a similar thing except in tea-bag form. The teabags do have bonito and mackerel and  I do have plenty of kombu, the two dark dry wrinkled flat things shown below.





3-D !



*  Saffron to Westernize the broth and to bouillabaisse-ize it.
*  Honey to offset and sweeten the brutal weirdness of saffron.
*  Chile flakes for oomph.
*  Two Crabs anchovy fish sauce for body and for umami.
*  Pepper and sea salt to avoid soy sauce which would darken the broth.
*  Marsala because, eh, what the heck. 
*  Garlic shaved into slivers along with one disc of sweet onion diced.

So, there you have it: umami, the essence of the sea, aromatic vegetables, spices, the depth of wine, unction of olive oil, vegetative essences, combined and balanced, and much MUCH better than the two bouillabaisse broths that I was served, and that is without any actual seafood included. I win. 

No comments:

Blog Archive