Soft tacos, chicken


A filling is prepared from frozen chicken, jalapeños, sweet onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato sauce, coriander, cumin, s/p. 

Corn tortillas are prepared the usual way with masa harina and water, pressed and fried briefly to cook. The corn tortillas are not deep fried or shallow fried to crisp, thus soft tacos. Skipping that step is easier, faster, cleaner, more healthy, more authentic, but no crunch. 




The chicken pieces are fried to brown then the vegetables added. Pot deglazed with red wine this time because there was a bottle already opened and left to languish. The wine is stale, verging on vinegar but that's alright here, it adds the flavor of wine and the slight acidity of vinegar. That's my opinion, and I'm stick'n with it. 

I have no tinned tomatoes on hand but I do have tins of tomato sauce that were purchased by mistake. The tomato sauce is added as if it were the liquid from tinned tomatoes that had tomato paste added, then sun-dried tomatoes were added to substitute for the missing cut tomatoes. Nice little substitutions there that turned out to be quite nice. 


ARTS !




Not all of the the tomato sauce was used from the tin. The remainder of the tomato sauce was seasoned separately with chile flakes, s/p, and heated as sauce for tamales that were prepared earlier, here, then frozen. Five tamales might seem like a lot of tamales but these are small two-bite hors d'oeuvre size.


Okay, this was overkill. Three soft tacos was quite enough and there is sufficient material prepared for four more. I pulled out these tamales from the freezer when I was digging around in there for other things and decided to heat them now. I never was very good at judging quantities especially when I'm hungry. I suppose it's enough to have the good sense to stop eating when I'm full. 

No comments:

Blog Archive