Foot long ham sandwich



You know I did look for bread, and I did see bread, but on the day I was looking the bread was all remnant, the wrong sizes and unsuitable shapes and none of it baked right then. Every single thing I looked at I rejected thinking dismissively I can do better myself, and disappointed and with a trace of disgust decided to do so.

It ain't no big thing
to wait
for the bell to ring

The proofing is sped up because salt is omitted at first so the yeast is uninhibited and goes wild and crazy with sugar and powdered milk and flour. 

I never do the 'prove the yeast' thing, my yeast got nothing to prove, it just goes. I think that rule or that idea is for irregular bakers whose yeast might have died somehow, somewhere along the line, probably due to neglect or sadness. 

There is a best moment for salt to be added if not added at first, after the first proof and when the dough is stretched and the yeast redistributed, that is the perfect time but you must remember to do that in that critical moment or the bread finishes without salt. 












The bread spread with mayonnaise and parmigiano cheese is broiled. Does that look delicious by itself, or what? 


I didn't measure. More than a foot, I think. The baking tray is seventeen inches long. 


4 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That must have been very filling.

I'm just saying.

vza said...

Hi Chip. I'd appreciate some advice. I am making Sloppy Joe sliders for a children's party, and would like to bake small slider buns instead of using store bought.(Too many unhealthy things added!)
Do you have any bun recipe suggestions?

Love your blog and all of your posts at Lem's blog.
Thanks!

Chip Ahoy said...

That sounds like a great idea.

Fresh yeast (mine is frozen).

Deciding how much dough is the hard part. I'd use warm milk for the liquid. Say, two cups warm milk, one flat teaspoon sugar to get the yeast going. Double the cups of loosely scooped flour to the amount of liquid. Some butter to tenderize, not much, 1/4 cup. No egg. SALT. 1/2 flat teaspoon per cup flout.

To make little buns I like to stretch each little dough wad to a square pizza and fold it in thirds, then thirds again. Then pinch into a pillow. Or else keep pressing in its little belly button stretching the skin and forming tiny boules.

Best to start the dough overnight and with less yeast, but kids don't care about that. They like Wonder bread. Very easy to please. They'll be tickled with the size more than they can be impressed with the excellence of your bread.

This bread right here was very very very fast because I held off from the salt. But I do not recommend that for excellent bread.

stonemaster said...

looks like the making of a box lunch for fly fishing the Le Tort... :)

Blog Archive