Desayunar


Pan tostado
queso filadelfia
tomate
basil

ayunar = fast,  des = against, against fast, it could have been contrarayunar, but there you go, the same thing as break+fast.

In Mexico the first meal in the morning that breaks the overnight fast is usually lighter than a full on American breakfast of eggs, toast with jam, bacon or ham, hashed browned potatoes, and coffee. Calm down. It's warm outside, and you'll be having lunch soon enough. It can be anything that is light, it needn't be a fixed thing, like milk and cereal every single day, or a Denny's style breakfast every single day like clockwork. 

This is my own splendid bread. I do not want to gum it up with gobs of sweet goo. No, this bread deserves something better than that, better than butter and fruit preserves. Plus those fruit preserves are commercially mass produced anyway. Notice how closely my topped off toast resembles a pizza. It is the perfect thing in the morning. The bread itself is substantial, and satisfying as mass produced bread cannot be. It just is.

A week ago I mentioned to a friend I hadn't bought a loaf of bread in a decade and his stunned look in response was quite comical. Actually, I did buy a loaf a few years ago, at Sam's two loaves come together, thoughtfully selected for its multi grain composition, but once home I found there was something dreadfully wrong with it. It preserved way too long and way too well. You can smash a slice back into a dough wad, and I ended up tossing both out. Boom. Right in the trash. Because that is what it is, basura. I couldn't imagine eating that stuff, even as punishment. So I lied. But actually, that purchase was a mistake, or let's say a test that failed, and in reality once I got thinking and calculating years, it's been more like two decades. Twenty years I've been making my own bread. My habit is make my own bread, and the bread I make is clearly better than anything I can buy. Significantly better. Substantially better. No brag, just fact. It just is. And at this point it is quite easy to do. There is no measurement except counting the scoops. These two slices of toast beat any commercial cereal, any commercially produced bread available due to the mass production efficiency techniques and economies of scale. And this is why American have such difficulty with weight. There is no longer a connection between healthy cereal and grain-related mass produced food products the exact same as given to cows in feedlots to quickly fatten them up, having remained lean on the range. The full array of grain-related products is bogus. In first world societies the connection with authentic human food is gone. Long gone. 

But not disappeared. 

No comments:

Blog Archive