Butternut squash and leek soup, cheese crackers











This is why the vegetables are roasted first.



Odds and ends of chicken parts, how macabre, I'm pleased to have them out of the freezer. I have chicken broth but I want to get rid of these. Pressure pot makes quick work of it.




Here is where the Cuisinart shines, just load it up and let it run for five minutes but I did not drag out that heavy thing. The immersion blender does a less thorough job of it due to all the fiber to process and the volume. I don't care about the mixture being smooth as silk. I don't mind if some of the fibers remain. 

Taste-tested this and decided it needs substantial increased body, the type that butter provides.

And dry vermouth.

This changed the delightful butternut squash sweetness to noticeably less. Sweetness returned with mere teaspoons of brown sugar.


Crackers turn out damp like bread. They're returned to the oven and reheated but not baked and cooled in series repeatedly (three times) until they are completely dry, light, and crisp. 



My oyster crackers are square and they're cheese-flavored. 


One pint of soup.


Two tablespoons heavy cream drizzled around.



Cinnamon is great but it discolors the soup. It's good sprinkled on top. So is nutmeg. Chile flakes would be good, any kind of chile powder. The natural taste is sweet, the mixture can accept any number of serious adjustments. I was considering parsnips, carrots, and celery, and this time the full range of herbs is omitted. The rest, the bulk of it, can be changed to anything with tomato, avocado, tahini, peanut butter, fennel, chicken, bacon or ham, cilantro, mint, basil, cheese, citrus, anything

3 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That soup looked great (leeks are so under appreciated). What is the recipe on the crackers?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I love butternut squash, but sometimes I like delicata or hubbard instead. Both would work with this.

Chip Ahoy said...

Evi, crackers same recipe as breadsticks this time.

If anything puts weight on these bones it'll be these crackers and possibly the dozen of so emergency malted milkshakes.

I have the whole bowl right here. This is how my older brother got fat, nibbling at his computer.

The idea is a lot of fat to water. Just go for it. Something like 3pts water to 1 part fat of any kind.

Cheese is flavoring. So a strong cheese like real Parmigiano.

All cheese I used worked.

Baking powder works instead of yeast.

No leavening works too.

Dough made with yeast is alive and bit more demanding to stretch to the right shape. Like pizza dough.

Dough with baking powder and with none are much easier to roll, more like squishy wet Playdoh, it just flattens right out with no fuss.

I found all types are best returned to the oven with heat but not enough to bake them in order to dry out entirely.

A trick is the right amount of salt. That's always an estimate affected by cheese. I usually under salt then wish they had more. Once I pressed too much on the surface and ended up brushing them off after they were baked.

You can make designer crackers with various toppings of various colors and various flavors, but the payoff is hardly worth the artistic effort. I saw a photo of a Japanese effort and thought, "Hey that looks like fun."

It wasn't. And each individual cracker 100% unpredictable.

Blog Archive