Baked turkey


The office downstairs called me to alert "They're bringing up Thanksgiving stuff." 

So it was the office downstairs who told them to bring it to me. Apparently, they showed up out of the blue. Whoever they are. I don' t know. I was so blown away it escaped me to ask. I'm assuming some church.

Because the boy holding the box is clean cut, boy next door type if you live in an upscale suburban neighborhood, tall and thin, probably 5'11" 135 Lbs., clear face, blue eyes, blond curly hair. "Where should I put this?" 

"Right there."

He came in and set the box on the butcher block cart, stopped and looked directly at me before letting go it. Bounced out of the apartment to leave. Stopped again, turned back and looked directly at me again, "Have a nice Thanksgiving." 

"Thank you. You have a nice Thanksgiving too." 

I examined the contents of the box. The box is large and heavy. 

14.5 LBs frozen turkey
2 cans green beans
2 cans corn
1 can cranberry gelatin
5 LBs White Whole Wheat flour
2 boxes cornbread mix
1 box stuffing mix
1 package mashed potato mix
1 box chocolate cake mix

I don't know who the people are, I don't know why they delivered to me. I take food to the women in the office all the time. This is an expensive apartment building and there are no needy people that I know about. Maybe the office told them to come up because they confirmed I was home. 


I had just looked at turkeys at Trader Joes and decided against cooking one this year. Actually the free range chickens looked good. I'd rather cook 4 of those than one turkey. But if I did want a turkey then those ones at Trader Joes would be a very good choice. They are well selected and they were never frozen. I was just over the ordeal and I made no plans for a dinner. And if I did make a plan it would be different and it wouldn't use any of these ingredients. There is nothing here that I would buy. 

Even so, I was blown away. I still cannot get over it. This is part and parcel of being American. There are people watching out for you, people who care that you don't even know about. 

Stepping back, now I think that this abundance and this generosity extended to people unknown is what the migrants pounding on our door and willing to break in want to access. 

Back to the turkey.

I ate both wings for dinner. And the bones are massive. Compared to bones of chicken wings.




No comments:

Blog Archive