Ceviche and crackers



I guess it's not possible for me to make this in small amount. I get carried away at the fish counter then POW I end up with gallons. I have no judgement, it all seems so reasonable at the purchasing stage. Diluted with water, eight limes was insufficient acid for this amount. The next morning the pieces were barely transformed, as pictured above, the tuna still red, the shrimp little changed. I added three more limes and three lemons then put the pressure on. Now it's all vacuum sealed in wide-mouth quart size mason jars. There are six of them. I left one open with no pressure so I can get to it.

The crackers were made just for this. I'm getting really good at cracker making. This batch has a bag of processed mass-produced pre-shredded cheese I desperately needed to get rid of (It was purchased a month ago for something else but never used). I learned to make the dough on the wet side. It rolls out much more easily and it doesn't affect the result. I prepared crushed black pepper, sea-salt, coriander, and cayenne pepper and sprinkled it over the rolled out dough. Pressed it in. Nice touches, all of that, the cheese and the spices. These crackers are addictive. I'm well on my way to mastering the art of designer crackers. I intend to make boxes of them and bring them as little food-offerings to other people's parties.

3 comments:

JAL said...

More specific cracker recipe some place on your site Chip?

Chip Ahoy said...

JAL, yes, a few places. Search "crackers" up there↖ at top. Some search results lead to aggregate pages. In that case, CNTL F (find) "crackers" in the box will highlight the spot on the page with the photo.

These crackers are simple as can be, basically, flour, fat, and water. Amounts and types of flour and fat vary each batch. Spice is a matter of whim.

Today was a large batch.

4 Cups flour
3 oz butter
1/3 cup olive oil.
1 teaspoon sea salt
about 1 cup water added while processing until the mass pulled together.

Allow dough to rest.
Roll out
Score but do not cut through. I use the bench scraper which makes it go fast. The sheet of dough bakes as a single sheet with holes where I pressed too hard.
Season to your hearts desire. Press in the seasoning
Dock with a fork if you don't want bubbles to form. If you want bubbles then don't dock.
Bake 425℉ for 4-16 minutes. (This also varies each batch depending on the flour used and the thickness rolled out.

This batch had a lot of scrap. Enough for another tray. I returned the scraps to the processor and let 'er rip. Added even more water until that pulled together. That final portion was exceedingly wet. It was the easiest to roll out and baked exactly the same as the previous sheets.

The last batch was 100% olive oil and rolled thickly then cut into smaller sections. They imitated plain crackers I got from WF that my guests seemed to enjoy.

Chip Ahoy said...

I forgot. This batch was the first time I added baking powder (in moderation 3/4 teaspoon for 4 cups flour) because I didn't intend the crackers to do any heavy lifting. I didn't mind if they came out more tender. The baking power had minimal effect. One tray I forgot to dock. That tray ended up with big bubbles in each cracker. I kind of like that.

Blog Archive