Cubed steak with rice


Leftovers. There's about twenty-eight pounds of this still left. Possibly two pounds. A lot. Rice is leftover too. Weirdest rice in the history of white rice. Sticky, pearly rice or something, although the package doesn't give a clue to it being different. It says only premium, but they all say that. From the Asian market, I hope I never accidentally buy it again. Maybe I can use it to make crackers.

The meat, could be a roast but treated earlier as a steak, was cubed and re-cooked here in leftover sauce, and man oh MAN is that sauce ever good. It totally salvaged pathetic leftovers. Elevated them to haute leftoverdom. It's like pan gravy except a lot better. I urge you to try this. Onion, or shallots and herbs of your choice cooked in the pan drippings, augmented with butter if necessary. Garlic added at the end so it doesn't burn. Red wine added and reduced by half. Then beef stock added and also reduced by half. Thicken lightly and judiciously if necessary. Strain. Behold: a gravy sauce like no other. I bet it could be sweetened with honey or with some kind of fruit. If I were to add fruit, then I'd buzz it with a blender. I hereby resolve, for now on it's gonna be sauces, Baby.

That means I'm going to have t keep fresh herbs around at all times, and make sure I always have both red and white wine on hand, along with heavy cream and coconut milk. Shallots, crème fraîche, and other saucy odds and ends like clarified butter. I sense this is going to take a bit of commitment.

I am going to make sauces for absolutely everything. All my food-related thinking will be thought in terms of sauces.


No comments:

Blog Archive