Chili with meat, bacon, black-eye peas, fruit and spices with lots of turmeric


Con una banana y una manzana. Es una banana no es un plátano. ¿Sabes?

The banana and apple are rolled uncooked into the chili as if it were a sauce. The idea started out as beans with banana, then I thought it would be good if the banana were starchy like a plantain but I do not have a plantain around here right now so I used a sweet banana instead and switched to potato for the starch. I also wanted to use up about 1/3 LB of lean ground chuck.



The beans need fat and unction and help with flavor, and the ground chuck is too lean, so the fat and flavor of bacon is included and only the finest will do. This is the house brand around these parts. It is similar to Tesco. 





See? I just told a joke. That is cheapest bacon available.

So there is the fat rendered from the bacon and that fat is used to start off an assortment of seasonings. I scanned the spice cabinets for things that I know will work and for things that I do not usually use and for things I might miss. 

* coriander
* cumin
* cinnamon
* chile flakes
* black pepper
* salt
* nutmeg
* turmeric added last

Let's just call it a curry.

* brown sugar
* one level tablespoon flour

* onion
* garlic
* dry sherry
* water
* small tin diced tomato
* 1/3 LB ground chuck
* one large Russet potato from the great state of Idaho. 




No comments:

Blog Archive