Farfalla salad



Does this look good? The inner food stylist says it needs color, like doink doink or maybe doink doink doink, and the outer photographer concurs. The whole pale on pale thing isn't working. So what. It is wot I made then ate and it is delicious.

Here is the dressing that is awesome-opossum. It is a complicated honey/mustard dressing, produced by a few unforgiving steps requiring the good solid judgement of a four year old. It is started with a teaspoon of mustard in a little bowl. 

My favorite mustard is my own made from the powder sold in tins at the grocery found with all the other spices. If I see seeds then I buy those too. I looked for the cheapest kind of powder. It's all the same source, basically, Canada and Northern U.S. states. I bought six tins for 6 X the fun. One tablespoon white vinegar for one small tin of mustard powder 1.4 oz tin, I think. The vinegar activates the powder and the rest is water to the desired paste, thick or thin. Ta daa. 

The whole mustard thing has turned out to be extraordinary. I keep mentioning this because other people respond to it more strongly than I do. I was surprised how good it is, but other people go nuts and that surprises me more. So I also bought little jars for them that I can give away mustard with pretzels and the like, they're the cutest little things. 

For the dressing then, some of that mustard is put into a small bowl with an equal amount of honey, loosened with white vinegar, about a teaspoon to two teaspoons and enough vegetable oil to suit the whole amount going on there. That's it. No salt or pepper and no other spices.

The cheese is called butterkäse, aptly if unimaginatively named buttery cheese that is mild, smooth, and pleasant.  

No comments:

Blog Archive