Hazelnut toffee




Roasted.






I regard this batch of hazelnut toffee a failure.


The most delicious, slow to get rid of, ashamed to share failure.

[original photographs here lost due to hasty careless deleting. This and at top is what remains of the fail-toffee I haven't got to yet.]

The thing is, a lot of nuts is good so a superabundance of nuts is superabundantly good innit. Not so. Compacted and structurally unsteady, too thick and not so easy to eat or keep together, this has too much hazelnuts by 100% making it twice as expensive and unnecessarily making it worse instead of better. Therefore I must make it disappear.

I made heavily nut-loaded toffee once before and it came out perfectly so I thought myself expert right off, why not, and now I experience a knockback to novice status and to be frank about it I never did have any idea what I'm doing.

Conclusion. For me, not you: * use one of my medium pots, not a larger pot. The toffee bubbles up to the top of medium pots but sits there flatly in a large pot. * use less than 8 oz each sugar/butter for slightly thinner layer poured into bread pan. The cashew toffee is 8 oz regular bread pan size and that is a bit thick. * use another bread pan to release. So it doesn't drop out, to keep it in one piece before coating. * Into a larger pan to contain the mess of coating with powder nuts. It is a three-pan deal.

No comments:

Blog Archive