Juice: strawberries, red bell pepper, Granny Smith apple, celery, purple dragon fruit, cucumber



The best juice in all the land. This was dinner.

A new juice bar opened in the space previously occupied by Tony's market. Now it's a new market, sort of an upscale food court with the juice bar, a regular bar, a sushi bar, a deli sandwich bar, a pizza thing, a souvenir shop, a few other things like that. The whole place is wide open with comfortable seating all around and throughout. 

So that's two juice places within a few blocks. 

A woman was going in at the same time. 

She stepped up her pace to race around a short enclosure with a knee-high metal fenced area with two spring-hinged gates, to open the gate for me that can be opened simply by pushing it with a knee. 

I said in an amused tone, "I think that I might have been able to handle that." It actually was amusing for her to open it. 

"I know. I wanted to encounter you." 

She told me they're not officially opened but I can go in and look if I want to. They had two soft openings this week but the actual opening is Friday. We walked in together and she explained the concept. She explained the whole place. She works at the juicer spot, or perhaps owns it. She was stoked about explaining they concentrate on organic ingredients and using glass. I don't know how she knows it without being opened but she told me they get 78% of their glass returned. 

Maybe they sell their logo glasses, I don't know. 

Recycling. Earth-consciousness. Social responsibility. It's a thing around here.

I mentioned the other place sells a pint for $8.00, and sampling them all and reading the combinations of ingredients taught me what the idea is, a certain range of possibilities, an approach to take in mixing, what to expect, and what to run through my own juicer. I bought one after sampling their juices. 

She said, "We are not inexpensive." 

Double negative to avoid saying, "We're more expensive than that." 

I'm all, "Oh wow, bloody hell, double negative innit. That's like what, mathematics, two negatives equals a positive so I must reverse it for comprehension. Um ... Ha ha ha ha ha. Good one."

I cast back to reading Kissinger's massive books, The White House Years and Years of Upheaval in which he describes the Russian ambassador to Washington in his trademark arid wit, the ambassador had learned the unique subtlety of the double negative in English. Apparently, Russian doesn't have that.

Her name is Martha. And now we are friends. Just like that.

But neither of these two places juice them right there. What a bummer! Don't you think it would be a lot better if they did? It's the difference between minimal oxidation and even more minimal loss in nutrients. But they are, after all, dealing in subtleties. 

The sushi bar looks interesting. But very tiny. And they make their sushi right there. 

The deli place makes their sandwiches right there. To order.

The pizza places makes them right there. On the spot. 

The bar makes their drinks right there from alcohol on hand. 

Why are juice bars different? 

It would be a pain in the butt to clean the machine each time. But so what. They've decided that isn't efficient. Or they use the kind of juicer that's best for larger quantities. And now they have to estimate how many of each kind they will sell each day. And that fluctuates each day. And that means juice is sitting around for a few days. And that is not good. 

My juice is better. And I can use more outrageous ingredients unthinkable in a commercial setting that makes things in advance.

No comments:

Blog Archive