aged soy sauce

Yamaroku Shoyu Pure Artisan Dark Sweet Japanese Premium Gourmet Barrel-aged 4 years.

Got that? Aged 4-years in a barrel. Artisan, that means artists did it. And you know how artists are, fussy! That's how they are. And it's aged so long in barrels it actually becomes sweet, not salty.

The bad thing is it costs a million dollars.

Kidding.

It cost less than half that.

But it's not packaged so attractively and intriguingly as the 1-year aged type. I gave a bottle of the girlish 1-year type to my sister-in-law and I expected it to be unappreciated. Because once the packaging is removed then it's just a regular bottle and I wasn't so sure she and my brother could appreciate the difference between it and regular mass produced soy sauce. But they did. They really like the milder version that tastes a lot less salty but with the full body. And this 4-year type is even more so. This older type is actually sweet. And full. Kaboom right in your mouth. And you're all, what? What? Is this really soy sauce? Are you telling me that this is what soy sauce is meant to be?

Yes. We're telling you that. This was the truth all along.



I tested it on some leftover rice.

No comments:

Blog Archive