Royal Rooster, chicken thigh sandwich, three chicken thighs, the interior, people

I walked 3/4 block, then a full block, then 3/4 block, and that's what, two and a half blocks. I spoke with two indigents, one mentally/emotionally challenged, an old man digging up bugs with his grandson presumably, regular people out on Sunday, and workers, and I must say, you Earthlings are very pleasant. One stranger warned me in passing, "be careful."

?

About what? I realize I look like a mess, but come on. Imagine it: A large heavy young black man half my age says to me on approaching, "be careful."

Bless his heart.

He had just passed the scrawny white dude dressed deplorably and mumbling to himself. Maybe the black dude was warning me about him.

The place is a mess.

This is not Utopia.

There is a bit of trash outside my own apartment building. People eat things to-go then leave the packaging strewn. I notice a couple of people do not care for pepperoni on their pizza. Bottles, tins, paper plates with partially eaten bread, spilled catsup. The trash bins at the bus stop outside of Torchy's is over flowed and spilled onto the sidewalk; broken egg shells, and restaurant tickets, and smeared goo all over the sidewalk. The city is relatively clean but the owners and staffs must return on Monday to clean it all up. As always, people are very easy to talk to.





The woman at Royal Rooster was working the counter and cooking, and preparing the packages. I told her the last time I was here I considered $4.00 for each chicken thigh a bit high, but, they are larger than the thighs that I can buy at the grocery store and they are the best thighs I've ever tasted and they are tender. The buttermilk marinade is apparent. 

She told me they marinade for forty-eight hours, first in tarragon-brine then in buttermilk. 

Ding.

I now have the secret to Royal Rooster chicken. From here on it will be 48 hours marinade. 

There is nothing else like it.

The following photos were taken immediately outside my apartment front door. Something is happening across the street. A concert, it seems. And this whole time I thought the place was an art studio. 






















No comments:

Blog Archive