Baked apple in crust













A few years ago at a summer time dinner party I made the salads and the desserts for a dozen people. A man came in as I was preparing the whipped cream for the strawberries on toasted pound cake. I was sticking mint leaves into the whipped cream. The man automatically began to help. 

        "What am I doing wrong?"

I put on a French accent, "My mint sprigs grow out from the snow mountain triumphantly while your mint leaves die flatly upon the snow mountain." 

That's what John does. His apple leaves die flatly upon the apple. You know how the apple leaves grow, they grow on twigs next to the apples, not all that often on the same twigs holding the apples. They often fold in half and curl. 

Conclusion: Too much dough. Too much apple, actually. Nobody wants this big of a sugar bomb. My dough is made as a cookie, more sugar and cinnamon, slightly less butter so that the dough holds up to shaping. Apple pie is better.


1 comment:

ndspinelli said...

My mom made this in the Fall w/ apples right from the orchard. Would drink apple cider from the orchard w/ it. Love me some good apples.

Blog Archive