Shrimp frittata with spinach cheese sauce









Shrimp frittata made the usual way. Started on the stove top as an omelet, finished under the broiler for only a few minutes until raw shrimp turned pink. Removed immediately. Folded in half as a stuffed frittata.

Sauce prepared in advance. Butter/flour in equal measure, about 1+1/2 teaspoon each. Chopped spinach and milk blended in mini Cuisinart.

* Garlic
* mustard powder
* S/P
* juice of 1/2 lime
* 1 tablespoon raw grated horseradish
* Grated cheese. Some kind of imported hard white cheese with a dark rind. I just used whatever I had left of that particular type of cheese without tasting it. It's all good. Cheese melted into sauce off the heat.

Nutritionally speaking -- and who doesn't like that? -- spinach is nearly worthless raw. How so? Oxalic acid is a nutrition blocker that binds with desirable vitamins and minerals preventing them from being absorbed by the body. In raw spinach Oxalic acid forms an insoluble complex with calcium and iron rendering it non-nutritious. I learned this by reading about Popeye and spinach. Popeye ate canned spinach which is cooked. That's how his muscles got so big immediately after squeezing open a can and inhaling the entire contents through his corn cob pipe. If you ever saw Popeye inhale the contents of a garden spinach patch and then become instantly empowered, well, that's just flat wrong!

Search: [ oxalic acid + spinach ]

You'll see this conclusion is disputed, as ever the case on any nutritional subject, because spinach contains many other important vitamins and minerals in abundance that oxalic acid doesn't interfere with, too numerous and too boring to list. So screw it, I eat it raw and cooked. Ever notice how it makes your teeth feel fuzzy? Why don't they ever talk about that, huh? I have to brush my teeth immediately after eating it to get rid of that fuzzy teeth feeling or else I'm miserable neurotically worrying about my fuzzy green teeth like moss is growing all over them with little green bits hanging off. Here's my idea: all meals containing spinach should come with a tooth brush and floss and a tiny tube of toothpaste along with a little mirror so you can manage the post-spinach fuzzy teeth syndrome right there at the table. It'll set a new standard for customer consideration.

I'm good to the finich
'Cause I eats me spinach.
I'm Popeye the sailor maaaaaan.
Toot toot.

No comments:

Blog Archive