Curried shrimp and grits



It's impressive what I can find when I start scrounging around. In this case shrimp so huge they scare people. Everyone who see them goes, "Are those shrimp?" And I go, "Yup." Naturally, I cut them up into manageable pieces and that rather defeats the whole purpose of getting them big  unless you consider the chore of peeling their shells simplified by being large. They're actually too big even for sushi.

Alas, for I am gritless. But I do have popcorn and I do have a coffee grinder. 

I used chicken broth for the liquid in both the grits and the sauce. Butter in the both the grits and the sauce.

The sauce is like a gravy. Tablespoon butter into a hot pan. Tablespoon of flour. Brown the flour to develop a brown roux. You have the grits cooking in another pot. That will determine your timing. Add the flavoring powders, in this case, prepared curry and powdered chipotle. Honestly, it could be anything. Heat the seasonings in the roux. Add garlic chopped finely if you're not using garlic powder, and diced onion. Coat them with the roux. Before the garlic burns, drop in one cup or more of chicken broth. Stir. The roux comes off the garlic/onion and thickens the chicken sauce, no lumps or anything. Add shrimp. Do not cook the shrimp, just heat it and remove immediately. Bang, you're done.

Add grated or chipped cheese, Parmigiano here, to the grits off the heat. Do not cook the cheese (it's a processed food, it could separate). Add chopped parsley or whatever you wish that's fresh, cilantro, basil, pretty much anything.

No comments:

Blog Archive