Black bean dip, cheese crackers.


This was dinner. The advantage of grinding dry beans in a coffee grinder is that they cook fairly instantly. Sure beats soaking and cooking for hours. Oh, does my culinary experimental nature know no bounds? I hope not.

Butter with seasoning, diced onion and garlic. Chicken broth. Slightly over double the liquid to the bean powder.

In this instance, I added a few tablespoons ground corn too because I wanted to impart a country grits flavor to the beans. That worked nicely, but it altered the texture to resemble polenta, which tends to harden as it cools. I don't care much for that. This could be improved with with a more daring dangerous fat, say, bacon, or possibly with lard. I originally intended to include chunks of uncured ham but I forgot to add it. It seems to me any herb will work. I added cayenne at the beginning with the oil, and pimento at the end, but your chiles of choice in any form will work.

Of course it doesn't have to be my delicious overly-seasoned cheese crackers either. Regular tortillas would be wonderful.

I'm going to do this again.

No comments:

Blog Archive