Shrimp hushpuppies




The idea came from having a pot of oil on the stove. How's that for inspiration?


This is all that's going on, alas, no measurements. I used what I had on hand. I have no celery and that's a bummer. I did not think of celery salt, that would have been a nice addition. 


Two types of corn, regular popcorn milled in a coffee grinder, and masa harina which is for tamales and corn tortillas and treated with lye or some kind of alkali  to remove the husk or something. Whatever else it does, it makes the corn more digestible. I could have included frozen corn but I didn't want to open a package and deal with it. You might want to consider that if you're not as lazy as I am. 


I wanted to use a shredded carrot for some reason that I cannot explain. 


One half teaspoon baking powder to lighten the mixture slightly.


Milk was drizzled into the mixture conservatively just enough to bring it together.


The arbol chiles are dried but not roasted. That means you can plant those seeds and they do stand a good chance of growing. If you were to buy chile seeds in a package, say, over the internet, you'd get about ten such seeds per package, and that's a ripoff IMHO. Seeds from chiles can be grown from fresh chiles or from dried chiles, but not from roasted or tinned chiles. Also bell peppers tend to be hybridized so that although their seeds are viable and do grow, they fail to produce peppers, and that's a sick cruel joke against nature. Try planting chile seeds sometime. It's fun. 

No comments:

Blog Archive