Shirred eggs


Named after the shirrer dish with a flat bottom and handle used for baking individual portions. It's an excuse to have eggs with cream and cheese and something else.

Eggs and cream, that combination is magic. 

Eggs and cream and butter, how can you go wrong?

Wine goes super duper McStuper good with butter. 

Eggs in flavored cream, butter with wine topped with cheese, are you feeling it? 


It's a trick! Of the sort pulled in restaurants. Only the most clever of all cooks can pull it off. I don't recommend trying without special degrees and years of apprenticeship.

Kidding.

Everything is started in a pot first as if doing a regular thing, it assures everything cooks right, whatever it is you put in there, then transferred to this baking dish, an egg or two included,  and finished. 

If you want the yolk runny then add it separately later half way through the baking, or make sure it's protected in the center of the mass. 

What do you put in there besides eggs in cream with butter and wine? Anything you like that's reasonable.

* mustard powder started in hot butter
* nutmeg
* chile flakes
* salt and pepper
* onion
* garlic (a light touch with the garlic)
* broccoli
* avocado 

All that started in a pot and cooked through, then wine, then cream, then transfer to ramekin or small baking dish, add egg, top with grated cheese, bake. 


Eggs in cream simply are the best eggs that you will ever have.

But ...

NOEGGSINCREAMFORYOU!

Only skinny people like me can have eggs in cream with butter and wine, and that's what you get for calling me scrawny, which is very hurtful and affects my self esteem, instead of calling me svelte if I must be called something, or lithe, or admirably sinewy, but no, it had to be scrawny like a derogatory thing as if to make me feel bad and it did make me feel bad so NOEGGINCREAMSFORYOU!

If I had a brunch, which I probably won't do for awhile now that I'm misanthropic, unless I will assemble a whoooooole other group of people, I would so make this in a big batch. One big pot.  And quickly too. Then spoon it evenly into separate ramekins to bake. It would blow everybody away because nobody, and I mean nobody has breakfast this excellent. 

No comments:

Blog Archive