Blintz






This is similar to little things served on the Mozaic (with a z) buffet. I almost didn't take one because, eh, but I'm glad I did. I thought, "This must be their buffet interpretation of a blintz. It's good. I can do this."

The idea is to produce an egg mixture that is very light and thin and sweet. Like a crêpe, like a Japanese omelet, or proper Japanese egg roll (they use a rectangular pan). With a very light filling. Light, light, light. So that's what I'll do. And since it's for the buffet and not, say, feeding a teenage male, then they're to be made small. A very thin light crêpe will be folded around a few teaspoons of filling and topped with something sweet. Did I mention light?

I couldn't find ricotta at the store. I knew they should have it, and I LOOKED! Got another employee who basically repeated my search steps . I got to checkout and mentioned that to the clerk. She goes, "I know we have it. I just sold some."

"You must be mistaken, because I LOOKED!"

"No, I'm certain. It's was ricotta. We have it."

"Don't."

"But, I'm certain we do have it."

"Don't."

"Do."

"Don't"

"Would you like me to send Joe here to get it for you?"

"Sure. But it's a waste of Joe's time and effort because you don't have it."

"But, we do have it."

Joe leaves. I'm holding up the line for Joe to come back. I apologize to the guy behind me. He says, "No problem." Joe returns triumphantly with the ricotta.

"I almost bet you $10.00."

"You should have."

So the filling is ricotta. Flavored with vanilla and a trace of sugar. I went ahead and added a few blueberries.

The egg mixture is three eggs, two tablespoons flour, one tablespoon powdered sugar, one teaspoon vanilla, and three tablespoons of a rather thick mango juice. The mango juice was an impulse. I saw it when I went for the milk and switched on impulse. The original mixture had two eggs and one tablespoon flour but it was too thin to work and the first crêpe failed So I added an egg and a little more flour. I did not wait for twenty minutes for the mixture to autolyse like you're supposed to because I'm impulsive and rather impatient.

Non-stick pan but I buttered it anyway. Wiped away the butter with a paper towel so just a very thin film remained. Lifted up an edge of partially finished crêpe and with my tender sensitive fingertips flipped the 3/4 finished crêpe. The idea is to cook as briefly as possible. Wouldn't do to toughen the egg.

Mint.

Raspberry preserves.

Honestly, these could be stuffed and dressed with anything, even a savory filling.

I would be pleased to serve these to guests, I'm imagining it would be especially fun to involve guests in the preparation. You know how they're always hanging about the kitchen. Best to involve them in production. That's what I say.

No comments:

Blog Archive