Chocolate milk


This is what I missed by not having milk in the house for a month and a half. 

It is one of the things that threads back through every change so that I am provided a line of continuity to earliest memory. Chocolate powder inside bendy straws. Blowing bubbles until they build up and crawl out of the glass. I regarded whoever invented that chocolified bendy straw a genius. I think they're still around, that is how profound they are. Chocolate milk is a ritual that reaffirms that I still am who I am and not become somebody else through the slow but steady and ineluctable accumulation of changes that start at the level of cell replacement. And now that I am having chocolate milk I feel human again. 

3 comments:

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel said...

Nestles Quik! God I lived on the stuff as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me craving that lovely connection to my childhood....sucking humanity thru a bendy straw!

If they passed out that chocolate concoction at the next meeting of the U.N.......I think World Peace might stand a chance! Chocolate milk and cookies to the rescue!!!!

Signed...

Sultry62

Blog Archive