Roasted chicken and vegetables


A brine is created with as much sugar as salt. The brine includes fennel seed and black pepper. It could have contained a lot other things like chile flakes, bay leaf, coriander, garlic, onion, whole clove, orange and lemon rind, but all those things were left out this time. I'm on a simplicity kick. 

I was happy to find a bottle of white wine. I found a small cache of bottles of white stashed where they do not belong. One of them was wearing a miniature kimono made for bottles. I thought I was out of white wine and I don't care for the purple coloration that red wine imparts to chicken as it cooks in it but I was willing to let it happen. I used 1/2 bottle of the found white wine, a Pinot Grigio. I should have used the whole thing. The chicken soaked in the fortified brine for 18 hours.










2 comments:

Rob said...

Whoa, that chicken be spinnin'.

Chip Ahoy said...

Rob, I'm glad you noticed that.

I've been trying to figure out my 50mm 1.4 prime. I've read a lot of pages, including a few notably wrong and confusing pages. I'm learning about depth of field which turns out to be much different than what I thought. I'm starting to get the reasons for preferring either low or high f stop. I'm trying to figure out how best use what I have. The prime is a strange lens but I think I'm liking it best now that I'm starting to 'get' it.

I have a new solid tripod and a couple of new remotes.

The camera is set to f11 and the shutter slowed way down to 3. A small wireless flash is set in the distance. Remote shutter release.

I took one photo. I liked it and it would work singularly.

Turned the pot to change the angle of the chicken inside and snapped another shot. Checked it. That photo looked good too.

Realized that from one photo to the next, the only thing that changed was the chicken inside the pot.

So I did that over and over adjusting the pot a little each time like a clock. Snap snap snap, without anymore checking. It was fun and very fast. All the pictures in NEF looked great. None were adjusted in Photoshop one single bit. Even my favorite moves you showed me made no change to the original photo, No exposure adjustment, no contrast, nothing.

All the photos in that set up were great. I didn't have to pick one, I could pick from the series. The only adjustments in Photoshop was to resize and to arrange in a stack to turn into frames for a GIF.

The anim can spin faster like a propeller. I first tried slower and that was even more annoying. I tried three speeds which is a bummer because each frame must be changed individually each time, so that's like a million tiny drop down menus. Since all speeds are annoying I almost abandoned it and thought about going back to one of the original NEF to JPEG images.

Blog Archive