Biscuits and gravy


Biscuits.

The scone kind of biscuit, not the cookie kind of biscuit. 

Let's see if I can remember how to do this.

We are dealing with extreme temperature for a home oven, as far as it will go. This is heat that goes beyond caramelization, beyond Maillard reaction, it is torrefaction leading to pyrolysis.

Psyche. It's that hot only at the start then they coast on zero from there. To shock the biscuits into a new reality. You can tone it all down if you want to, but wouldn't you prefer to be dramatic?

Reasonable cooks use lower temperature and keep it on to the end.

But wouldn't you rather be dramatic?    




Sodium bicarbonate + two acids; aluminum sulfate and monocalcium phosphate + cornstarch to keep it separated, but mostly cornstarch

Sodium bicarbonate + vinegar


Sodium chloride. 




















Leftover chicken from the free range thing that I pretty much ruined a few days ago. It's like roasted chicken sludge in a cup and I feel like tossing it when I see it but there is nothing actually wrong with it except looks. 

I made a very light roux sauce with chicken broth, commercial and salty, and milk then added the leftover chicken bits in their own chicken broth (brined somewhat salty). I  tasted the new sauce laden with chicken bits and  deemed it worthy before covering the biscuit with it. 

All that sodium added up and it is just too much in one small spot to enjoy.

It is delicious. In the same way that a salt lick is delicious. To a snail.

I did not like this one single bit but I ate it anyway without complaining.

I am describing.  

  

No comments:

Blog Archive