French dip, Tony's Market, Taste of Philly







A woman greets me at the counter. I haven't seen her before. They sure do come and go quickly around here.

Wanna see what I got? Wanna see, wanna see, wanna see?
I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see.
Z-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-p a gallon of milk. Psych!
Oooooh! I thought it was going to be something ... illeg ... alive ... cool. 
Nah. Too bad. I'm more boring than that. See, yesterday I got some broth from Tony's. Have you been to Tony's?
No, never been there. What's it like?
Down a few blocks. Upscale. Everything's expensive. Except right there. Bang. Open freezer filled with all kind their overpriced house prepared frozen foods, burritos, ravioli, pierogis and such every little frozen tidbit is like a dollar each, each package fifteen bucks, and stock. Sometimes full of stock and sometimes nearly empty. So yesterday nearly empty I was scrounging around ... because you guys don't have a French dip.
No. We don't. I know. Too bad.
All kinds. Chicken, beef vegetable, fish, everything, turkey, and it's the best. Really the best. The chefs make it right there with their own special chickens and their vegetables and it really is the best possible and it's the one single thing in there that that is not overpriced, that's not expensive. Compared with everything else available it's probably underpriced. I recommend it.
Wow. Thanks. I'm going there.  

No comments:

Blog Archive