Pancakes from scratch


I'm down to the last egg so I made pancakes with it. 

* one egg
* 2/3 cup buttermilk mixed from powder
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
*1 cup flour dumped in and mixed with 1/4 additional cup flour in increments to adjust to desired thickness.

Here's the tricky part. There is no leaven. Yet. The batter will be poured in batches and the leaven added in increments. Portions are scooped out and leaven added, both baking powder and baking soda because of the buttermilk. It turns the batter to foam. The batter is incredibly delicious. It would make an excellent sauce, except it's raw.

For 3/4 cup batter, or so. 

* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Instead of maple syrup, this is apricot preserves heated in the microwave.

3 comments:

vza said...

"The batter will be poured in batches and the leaven added in increments. Portions are scooped out and leaven added, both baking powder and baking soda because of the buttermilk. It turns the batter to foam."

Please explain WHY you added the leaven in this manner?

Chip Ahoy said...

Leaven not added until before frying because I don't know how long that will be.

The leaven activates immediately causing it to foam somewhat. (It will bubble a lot more when it heats). Baking powder contains baking soda, plus straight baking soda, reacts to acid in buttermilk. Immediately. Like a volcano.

I still have half the batter to make two more pancakes. I'm thinking of frying it now. If I had already added chemical leven then it would be partially deflated. It would still work, but not freshly puffed up. That's all.

vza said...

I get it. Makes sense. Thanks. I did not think of that, because I've never saved pancake batter to use later. I mix it and use it immediately.

Blog Archive