Corn bread with bacon, blue cheese, jalapeño and shallot

Made from popcorn kernels ground to powder in a coffee bean mill.




* 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
* 1 cup flour
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 jalapeño
* 1 shallot
* 2 oz blue cheese
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon salt



It's so good. I can't stand it.

I ate one thick piece then went back and cut two more regular slices. It's now half gone. And I'm ready to go back and get more.

One thing. My teeth keep hitting individual grains of crunchy corn meal. It's probably a good idea to microwave the cornmeal first in water for a few minutes until it boils. But it takes so much water. It takes like 3X its mass. And that's much more liquid than is used in regular cornbread. And that really does change everything. Plus it has to cool before adding baking powder or else it will be activated immediately. 

It's a conundrum. 

The hard bits aren't so bad. But I'd rather the whole thing be more cake-like.

I've given this to other people and they flipped out. Even people used to soul food and that includes plain cornbread. It's unlike any other cornbread and I've done this for so long that I've forgotten what plain cornbread is like. 

No comments:

Blog Archive