Zeps Epiq steak sandwich with au jus



Bread to meat ratio aprox. 60%/40%

While Taste of Philly ratio is much better.

The bread is slightly better than Taste of Philly while smaller.

Taste of Philly has considerably more filling.

I doubt the au jus is natural. Zeps makes it very strong and they give just barely enough.


These Tater Tots are surprisingly good.

This is actually two orders. One to eat at the shop yesterday and another to go that was re-heated today at home.

The sandwich @375℉ for 20 minutes, then another 10 minutes along with the Tater Tots.



I find the new interfaces a bit baffling. At first. They're all so wonky, somewhat counterintuitive. 

At Zeps the card reader is little more than a pathetic little toy. 

The obvious card slot does not work. It does not hold the card securely. It does not read. Turns out, the real slot is a tinier slot above the obvious slot. Then everything runs smoothly.

But half of the user input requires the user to touch the keypad under the display. While the other half of the user input requires pressing tiny keys to the side of the display. The user is supposed to just know which array of keys to use and when.

The bathroom is beautiful. The best that I've seen in a place like that. Very nicely designed to be somewhat foolproof from a futuristic aesthetic. 

The toilet flushes itself. 

But toss a paper towel into the toilet bowl and it will not flush again.

Nothing you do will get the toilet to flush again.

Even sitting on the toilet and standing up will not get the toilet to flush again.

There is an apparent button on the wall behind the toilet bowl. I wave my hand in front of it but it does not flush. I press the button but it does not flush. I press both square buttons but it does not flush. I push both at the same time but it does not flush. I sit on the toilet then stand up again and it still does not flush. I exhausted all  possibilities except opening the door exiting the room and reentering as a new user. 

I tell the guy he has a very nice bathroom. Best that I've seen. But I tossed a paper towel in the toilet and it will not flush. "Push the button on the wall behind the toilet." 

"I did that!" I yelled. In my mind.

The thing is, I was born before computers became widespread.

I used computers in high school to monitor class attendance using IBM cards and various large pieces of IBM equipment. 

I was alive when IBM ruled the computing world

I was a teen when personal computers were first sold. I bought one.

I was twenty when Apple computer was born. I bought one.

I used computers entering commands in DOS. I was in my twenties when icons disguised DOS

I used personal computers before the internet was developed.

I used the internet when access was only by telephone. 

I used slow internet with dialup access when high speed internet was developed.

I was an adult when JAVA was invented. 

I lived through innumerable code languages. 

I learned innumerable programs. I played early versions of games. 

I lived though it all. I was here when all of it appeared. 

This new crap confounds me because it's so skimpy. Because it ignores earlier rules. Because the light plastic toys are so inadequate, so disposable. So much like poorly designed children's toys. So illogical in user interface. So entirely absent simple instructions such as an arrow to show you which keypad to use. All user instructions are simply implied. Even the bathroom. 

I still have no idea why it flushes only once.

I'm not complaining. I'm describing. 

So Zeps is modern. Very stripped down. Very user-friendly once you know the new interfaces. But you must have a nearly non-verbal teen show them to you, show you the world of barely-there technology that does so much that he or she was born into.

No comments:

Blog Archive