Bread, malted whole wheat

Let me introduce you to the most lackadaisical unfocused loaf of bread in history.


The sponge rim indicates the mass rose to its maximum then dropped. I was supposed to add flour before that happened. It's okay. It'll still work. 


The sponge has all of the salt, all of the water and half of the estimated flour including 1 cup of malted whole wheat but only 1/4 teaspoon yeast.


The rest of the flour is added some 10 hours later. It rises as if I had added fresh yeast. 


But why wouldn't it? 

I don't understand recipes that have you add the regular amount of yeast for the remaining flour as if you hadn't been breeding yeast all night long to its maximum production and collapse. 


The white flexible bench scraper is used to shove the flour down along the sides of the bowl.



It rose in the pan twice. The first time the dough was too wet and it rose to pour over the top. Reshaped again it was baked before it could bulge over the edge. But it did not rise in the oven as it baked. 

This smaller sized loaf distresses me. 

I added 1/2 cup water and a cup of flour more than the last time to prevent this. 

The problem is the malted yeast does not contribute the usual rising quality. The grain has already been baked to stop the malting action so the wheat does not behave as raw wheat. I believe it does not contribute gluten molecules. It's just dead weight. I might back off from one cup to 3/4 cup and maybe even more to 1/2 cup and see how that affects the rest of the flour. 

After all this I was tired and no longer hungry. I'll make a sandwich of this later.

No comments:

Blog Archive