Bugs in Japanese rice






This is the camera's idea of 100%. The photo is not enlarged.  Obviously the bug is smaller than this, duh. 

Okay, here's the thing. 

This is really good rice and I like it a lot but 15 Lbs is just too much for one guy to have around. The bag is too big to refrigerate to arrest the bug eggs. 

The rice is expensive but there is American rice that is even more expensive and I like that a lot too. I have no idea if it will grow insects after a few months because I ran out before that could happen. They also sell a kind with the germ still in it. I read that's pretty good too. I bought both of them. The germ-one is from a different supplier and that will come a lot later. 

These bugs, I could drown them all in seconds then dry out the rice. That is the most reasonable thing. But I'm kind of tired of this and I got to take out a bunch of trash anyway. 

In these trying times *laughs* in which we all pull together to fight an unseen enemy *laughs harder* there is no point in inviting unpleasant pathogens *laughs like a maniac* into our antiseptically clean environments. *dies laughing* 

So I bought new bags of American rice. Better rice. And I bought some for my relatives too. 

4 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Are they Japanese bugs or American bugs?

I would resent them a bit more if Japanese bugs, but I would wonder if they would look like Pokemon.

ampersand said...

I always freeze flour for 24 hours before storing it. Do you think it could work with rice?

Chip Ahoy said...

Japanese bugs. They just popped up meaning it took this long for the eggs to hatch.

The King Soopers runner told me there was no flour at all and I thought of all those people finally with the time to bake their own bread and that warmed my heart imagining all those people home baking even though it also meant I didn't get any flour. And I buy flour all the time, not just during global pandemics.

I still haven't walked across the street to the little bodega so I have no idea what their stock is like. Hard to imagine people suddenly buying all their flour and other basics.

Basics.

It's profound.

There are liberal bakers, yes, but the impulse to return to basics is inherently conservative.

And then you'll go, "No, man, lots and lots of liberals return to basics such as hippies; making their own candles, growing their own gardens, returning to foraging, tie-dying, beads, baking artisan bread etc."

All those people suddenly buying all that flour. I wish them all well with their cookies and banana nut bread.

MamaM said...

Sitophilus oryzae.

Rice weevils are a small insect, about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long. They are mostly brown to black in color and can have spots on their thorax and abdomen. As the name implies, they like rice. However, Rice weevils can be found eating just about anything in the home. They typically like seeds of all types, dried beans, cotton, nuts, cereal, any wheat product, corn, flour, pasta, bread and other grain products found in most any home. But their tastes don’t end in the pantry.

Rice Weevils will readily feed on cotton fabric found in furniture and clothing. They love dried flowers and plants, decorative ornaments and dried flower arrangements as well. In fact its not uncommon to find them living in or on Christmas ornaments, dried flower collections and stored clothing. And unlike other pantry pests, rice weevil adults love apples, pears, grapes and other fruit. Since they fly well, it is not uncommon for them to enter a home attracted by the scent of some fruit or grain.

Remember, rice weevils are small, fast and quick to hide when ever people are around disturbing them. And since they fly, its easy to miss where they might be active so its important to treat every cabinet.

Blog Archive