Poke fail

The previous poke that tasted empty was adjusted slightly with a few umami-containing ingredients and the whole thing turned out much worse than before. The whole batch was thrown out. I don't even know why I am showing this. It's gross.

What went wrong?




Shut up. I don't know. Stop picking on me.

The wasabi was steamed with the rice. A lot of it. I guess I'll never do that again.

The tuna was stored for two days after it was cut.

Perhaps it was poorly conceived ... 

Nah.

Perhaps the ingredients were inferior quality ... 

Nah.

No wait. 

There were bugs in the rice. 

I'm not kidding. A lot of them. Alive. Running around. They're still in there. They hatched just now. 

And they're in there orgy-ing it up. They're in there laying eggs all over the remaining rice.

The bugs do not look like the bugs pictured in [rice bugs]. Mine look like centipedes. I think. I was freaking out. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to kill one and photograph it. They're too fast to photograph alive. They dig into the rice faster than you can dig after them. They simply disappear. 

Then when I rinsed the rice they came floating to the top immediately.

Except some didn't come up. So I rinsed them again. And a surprising number came up from a small 1/2 cup of rice.

I rinsed them again and more bugs came up. 

I rinsed them again and more bugs came up.

I rinsed them again and no bugs. 

I rinsed them again and no bugs.

But I keep thinking about those bugs. I could microwave them, kill the eggs and bugs before the rice cooks, but then their bodies would still be in there. 

Ew, gross me out.

If I rinse the bugs then the eggs will hatch and I'll have to rice them all over again. 

That rice was expensive. Top quality. It's only 1/2 used. And that is the LAST time I buy any rice from Japan. 

Here. Let me show you. This is the culprit.  It's a premium rice. Reviewed well on Amazon. Tastes great. Could have been my go-to thing. I bought a 15 Lb bag. Maybe that's the problem. Too much rice allowed time for this to happen. Had I bought the smaller bag it would have been used before the eggs hatched. 


It all sounds so treacherous and prehistoric but that's life in the rice patties even this late in history for advanced cultures. Rice is not grown in high rises so far that I know of. They get snakes in those fields! 

But 15 Lbs was a lot for one guy.

This is what I bought before. From Texas, US, America. And it's awesome. It's also a lot more expensive. But that's what it takes for a mono-agriculture to keep out the snakes and the bugs. 


All those geese flying overhead pooping on your rice field. Shoo. Shoo, Geese. Shoo.

No comments:

Blog Archive