Spice maintenance


These are in a corner, least used. 

I went to a small dinner party at a beautiful home with a gigantic kitchen. I thought at first deaf people collected in the kitchen because the light is best in there but turns out a central island was set up with things to nibble and so is the bar, so everyone was in there talking. 

Large farmhouse style appliances except modern, extra little refrigerator for beer and carbonated things, everything big and spread out, plenty of room for two side  tables, windows all around, multiple doors in and out to different directions to different areas, yard, porch, living room. Huge. 

The spice rack was a lonely feeble thing  that held about six jars of various who knows what of mixed provenance. That made me sad. About the whole thing. 

So anyway those up there are hardly ever used and when I do use them that means I'm scrounging around like today.


These get used the most, but presently some don't get used at all so those must be removed to make room for more useful current things. That's what this maintenance is about.

These below get used so much they're purchased in these cheap little tins and they're gone through so fast it's like a waste of tin. 

My parents had a few tins like the tins below that lasted for years, the whole time I was growing up, I think, that same yellow mustard tin kept reappearing. Now they don't stand a chance to last half a year. If I buy them in these things it means I'm using a lot and going through them like crazy. 


Some things come in bags.


There are a few more things like this below in the pantry, all bulk junk spices, the same as restaurants use, mostly crap like Italian spices, used in emergencies but that almost never happens so they sit and get old. But these two are used so much I kept them forward. Forward to the Forward Operations Base, or FOB, which is here.

There are also a few spices kept in the freezer and several bags of dried chiles stored in the pantry. 


This is what I'm after right now.


We cook-types like to keep our work stations fully prepared for the evening onslaught. 

No comments:

Blog Archive