13" Pullman style bread loaf


I did an experiment first by turning a regular bread pan upside down, filled with only enough dough to fill out the pan. The size of the loaf is determined by the amount of water to be absorbed by however much flour that takes. It's a somewhat small pan.

This pan is 13" long and 4X4" tall and wide, so it will need nearly twice as much liquid, but not quite.

* 1 Cup water
* 2/3 Cup scalded milk
* 6 Tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
* 2+1/4 Teaspoon salt
* 3 Tablespoons honey or sugar
* 3 Tablespoons potato flakes processed to dust, or potato flour, or switch out water for water that boiled potatoes, or this amount of mashed potatoes.
* 5 cups flour, thereabout.
* 2 teaspoons dry active yeast. Or 1 teaspoon and wait longer for it duplicate exponentially.


The dough seems like enough risen in the bowl. But it seems insufficient once rolled into a 13" log and pressed into the pan. It's a little less than 1/3 filled. It doesn't seem like it can rise that much. But it does. 

Actually, it began rising in mere minutes. This second rising went very fast. It's a little bit shocking how fast it goes.



I don't think the parchment is necessary. The loaf slipped right out of the pan, but I didn't want to risk any difficulty sliding the lid off. Online instructions say to butter and dust the pan with flour but I did not do that. The pan works as non-stick with no problem at all.



I usually bake bread to 200℉, but online instructions say 190℉.


Online instructions say return the loaf to the oven so that it retains its shape, but I don't think that is necessary. 


The loaf is cooling before it can be cut. I cannot wait to try this out even though I already know how it will taste. I'm curious if the dough is compressed near the top from trying to expand beyond the lid. My loaves are usually compressed on the bottom, and I'd prefer they didn't do that. 

Commenters online are blown away. While others experienced difficulty of all kinds.  It's actually no different from making regular bread except you must calculate how it will rise to fill out the top without exceeding and without underestimating. Some online pages show deplorable results, like this one, Wikihow, these people just flat don't know what they're doing. Their result is hilarious.

All this is for sandwiches. I'm determined to up my sandwich-game a few notches. And I need bread that's square-shaped. 

No comments:

Blog Archive