Philadelphia steak sandwich with mushrooms and white American cheese



From Taste of Philly located across the street. 

A very broad street.

One-way street out of the city going south. Drivers in this out-of-city frame of mind are quite mad. 

Oh dear, I've mischaracterized them. 

Allow me to atone and describe an incident to the contrary. 

It was a hot windy late summer day. Work was out. The broad street was filled with automobiles each rushing in one direction inhibited by clustering and traffic lights on each block. 

I was walking two blocks south to Tony's, a specialty market that is no longer there. Stopped at the corner I was waiting for the light to change to make it safe for me to cross. It's a long light. I was walking along using two canes but stopped a long time for the light and for some reason I was looking at the ground and twirling around a few times. I don't know why. But apparently I had the appearance of a total spaz having some kind of incident at the corner. 

A young man in a small new convertible car turned the corner and parked. A smallish well-dressed man got out of the car and approached me with some urgency asked me if I am okay. 

"I'm fine." 

     "You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. Thank you for asking. Thank you for stopping." I was actually thinking, "wtf?" 

     "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

     "You sure you're sure?" 

"Yes, I am certainly sure. Thank you for asking." 

     "Okay then."

He hopped back to his car, spun it around, turned back onto the very broad street and was gone. 

Then I thought, "Oh crap, man, I could have asked him to drive me to Tony's half a block away on the other side of the street. It could have been fun. He could have been a real humanitarian. I could have invited him inside for a sandwich from the deli, whatever, I missed another opportunity to take some random contact a little bit further. He already showed that he was willing to stop. He must have thought I was having a seizure. My instinct was to assuage his apprehension, not how I could stretch out a contact. Plus I was busy. My aim was to buy a package of cilantro. That's where my mind was, "Is this Tony's place going to have my herb or what?" Turns out they had a ton of herbs right there at the very front over their impeccable vegetables, each specimen ideal, stacked perfectly in cases next to the front doors, cilantro right in my face, the very first thing that I see. 

I miss that place.

No comments:

Blog Archive