Mexican omelet, eggs with masa harina, ham and cheese, asparagus, crema, heirloom tomatoes



Chile rellano in omelet form. 

A loose batter is prepared using the magical ingredient masa harina, the element that puts Mexico smack on your plate, fortified with egg as a pancake batter, layered with poblano chile strips and cheese along with sandwich ham, fried gently, folded and rolled out of the pan as an omelet. 


A loose mixture is prepared.


for tamales you'd want it stiffer than that ↑
for corn tortillas you'd want it much stiffer than that ↑
It stiffed on its own and I wanted it looser so water is added ↓


bacon grease




last of the poblano chiles roasted earlier





sandwich cheese
and sandwich ham 


heirloom tomato, and it is amazing


Mexican crema





Win.

3 comments:

Quaestor said...

This look beautiful, Chip, better than anything available in any the of the Mexican restaurants in my town (we have dozens, and they're run by honest-to-gawd Mexicans). I'm going to try this ASAP. Suggested variation: one thin slice of prosciutto to replace the sandwich ham, making the "omelet" lighter and a bit less meaty. Further suggestion: instead of prosciutto try some North Carolina "prosciutto style" country ham.

cf said...

Mmmm, you are plucking me out of my PDX Rut, reminding me of the great smells in a tiny kitchen that was half the house out in a dirt-road neighborhood off the edge of Laredo. Puro español allí.

Roasted toasty smells. Plus Asparagus! Mmmmm. Might have to copy this to the letter.

Hey, I discovered you Blog/Cook only recentLy from the Cherry Pie comment on Althouse. Good for you, and I covet your crust.

I went sightseeing "Things Wot" then, and was inspired to use my just-ripe mangoes in a version of your salsa in avocado for a meal leading into the fourth of July. 

Thanks! Your photos did all the work for me. It was part of a sendOver Supper for dear friend, the Generalissima of our Quilt-knit-make group -- the Cronettes -- who had Redo back surgery, ugh, ten hours, and will be recuperating at home a while.

Dinner was a great success, good cheer was had by all. Thanks for the different idea for mangoes, etc., than my current ruts, haha.

(So, you see I am saying your joy is rippling out, expanding in all kinds of knooks and crannies?! May this note encourage you and bring you every blessing.)

Thanks for all you make and share, Carolita

Chip Ahoy said...

Carolita, thank you very much.

Blog Archive